FORTY YEARS WITH A CRAB


                                                                                  Ever seen a crab?

That horrible ten-legged creature with pincer like claws ready to pounce upon you!

Forty odd years ago I used to believe that such a crab was perched in the heart of every person born under the zodiac sign of cancer.This belief was a  result of my numerous encounters with different people. My erstwhile boss, who had been smiling and joking a few moments before, suddenly threw files at my face. The lady–receptionist at the club who blew into a rage when I innocently asked the time by her watch. Or a few of my friends who have the tendency to be irritable without slightest provocation. I found out that a common thread ran through the personalities of all these people. They all had uncertain moods, they were all grouchy, they were all born between June 22 and July 23.

Even at an early stage of my life, my dread of these Cancerian creatures had developed to the extent of being a phobia. So much so that when I thought of getting married, I decided that my partner in life could be anybody but a Cancerian. I would manage to live with a mercurial Geminian, an arrogant Leo, a ruthless Scorpio or even a clownish Sagittarian, but never with a crab.

So whenever a proposal for a marriage came my way, the first thing I inquired of was the date of birth of the girl. I also ran matrimonial ad in a national daily mentioning my priorities regarding the prospective bride and added a stipulation, “CANCERIANS NEED NOT APPLY”.

Ultimately I landed with a wife whose matriculation certificate declared that she was born in the month of April; on the first of April, to be precise. The first few months after the marriage were spent in great conjugal harmony. She completely fitted into my mental picture of a typical Aries girl – a deeply sentimental, generous to a fault, unusually friendly female as if descended directly from Mars. It was when I was settling down to a long and happy married life that things began to happen.

Her grouchy moods began to surface occasionally but became more frequent later. Even my light-hearted comment on her parents or my innocent jokes drove her to tantrums. Scenes of fire-works, flying saucers in the dining room or the broken crockery in the kitchen became a common sight. I was a bit confounded. No, a Aries woman couldn’t behave like that.

Once, during one of our rare peaceful moments together , I dared disclosing my doubts to her. She seemed to be an astrological exception, I told her. She broke into a crazy laughter which went on and on. A typical Cancerian guffaw it was.  When it subsided a bit, she revealed the secret. The date of birth mentioned on her matriculation certificate was not the correct one. She was actually born on July eleven.

And here I am, living with my crabby destiny for the last forty years. But situation is not as pitiable or tragic as you might imagine. During the course of years my cancer phobia has been cured to a great extent. I had the chance of having glimpses of the brighter side of her Cancerian personality. Her rich sense of humour, her classy aesthetic sense, her infinite capacity to love and her rare culinary skills redeemed her most creditably.

      And regarding the problem of her black moods, Linda Goodman’s book on Sun Signs came to my rescue. It taught me that the passing moods of cancerians are synchronised with the changing shape of the moon. Keeping the track of prevailing phase of the moon I could manage my lovely crab and her wild moods. If it is a waxing phase, I can crack my bawdy jokes or make my flippant remarks. But if the moon is waning, I have to be extra-cautious. She is most touchy and vulnerable during this period.

Now I fondly hope that my life partner of forty odd years chance upon this blog during the period when the moon is nearest to being the perfect, round ball in the sky. I know she will enjoy reading it then and may even appreciate it. But only God can save me if it catches her eye in moon’s waning phase. I can visualize the heaps of broken crockery in the kitchen.

Comments

  1. Exceptionally interesting write up. As is said, what your resist will persist, and it did persist in disguise. But your life partner is one of the most lovable and genuine person on earth, since i know her personally. Wishing you both blissful togetherness till eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Your appreciation is precious to me Nirmal dear, and to my partner as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had somewhat similar story to tell but resulting in different course of life. My school birth certificate also had same DOB first April fool’s day for reason to get me admitted to first standard on the last date on completion of five years of age two months in advance making me two years older resulting in consequent retirement two months in advance causing me substantial loss of salary and subsecuant pension because of delayed pay commission. In those times there was no pre or nursery class.
    My girlfriend wanted to befriend a Gemini which I was being born on thirtieth of May but I did not know. So she drifted off me after losing interest in me when I told her that I was Arian.
    I happened to meet her after many years in a conference. We both were married and having our own families by then.
    I still could see the glitter in her eyes and my heart also missed a beat or two after meeting her after so many years.
    Anyway, we two couples had a very gala evening in the evening ball but I could not dare to BREAK her heart by disclosing the path breaking secret.
    Our planets were in different orbits now for ever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gripping write up that reflects your wonderful flare with the pen. Though our spouses share their birth date - surely I need to browse through Linda Goodman's bible once again, as my experiences of a
    fabulous journey with my 'crab' are a mite different from the one's described. May be my being a Sagi needs to be factored in! Like I said , shall read the Bible once again to try and unravel the mysterious influences of stars & moon! A very happy birthday to your better half , once again and a blessed life to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheena, a crab, I can't believe. You have been uncharitably humorous on our lovely Bhabhi!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If her false certificate of being an Aries made you happy, ask me who has been enduring an Aries for 38 decades, arrr, years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Uncle, this is Tanika, Mattoo's daughter. My father shared your post with me and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Aunty is adorable and would probably be even if she was born under another sun sign. I have such fond memories of my childhood travels filled with funny jokes from both Aunty and you! Lovely to get a glimpse into your life. Will read the other posts as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Tanika! The sweetest girl on this earth! The taste of the sumptuous food you ordered for us in Paris is still fresh on my palate. Thank you for caring to read the gibberish I dish out in my blogs and appreciating it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts